By Matt Oechsli | @mattoechsli
Every one of us is challenged with getting the most out of life. For years I’ve used a series of Beliefs and Values in coaching as they’re helpful in both recognizing and using our talents to the best of our abilities.
It’s important to start at the beginning and determine what’s really important to you. I get it, most everyone assumes they already know what’s important, but allow yourself to reflect on this for a moment.
It’s been my observation that most people spend more time planning their vacations than planning their lives. Let’s all stop for a moment and reassess. Our mental energy and the actions that follow provide us with an MRI-equivalent of our Beliefs and Values.
Coming up with a list of your own Beliefs and Values from scratch can be challenging, so I thought I’d share some examples. This list of ten is simply designed as a starting point – I encourage you to think through this for yourself and modify the list as you wish:
- Physical – being healthy and fit
- Moral – being honest and fair
- Economic – being financially secure
- Spiritual – living a pious life
- Intellectual – pursuing knowledge
- Professional – achieving your full business potential
- Nature / Environment – appreciating nature and protecting the environment
- Sentimental – loving and being loved; accepting and being accepted
- Political – promoting justice, peace, and freedom
Your challenge now is to select the top three values for your life. You might already be adhering to these values, but looking to strengthen them, or maybe these are values you’d like to embody, but have yet to pursue. Either way, write out your responses to the following questions/statements for each of the three values you listed:
- Why have you selected this value?
- If you were to spend a weekend acting on this value, what would you do?
- How much time do you spend on this value in a month?
- What have you done to promote this value to others?
- Do you have a plan to further develop or implement this value?
- Do you continually expand your knowledge base regarding this value?
After taking the time to work through the above, it’s time to take a breath and reflect on where you are now – personally, professionally, and spiritually.
Life is a journey for all of us, and although there are many things outside of our control, our mission, if we dare to accept it, is to make the most out of our journey.
Are you achieving your full potential? Our one-on-one coaching program sparks behavioral change…
Our coaching program is all about…
- Best Practice Sharing: We are hooked on idea collection, compilation, and dissemination.
- Unbiased Opinions: We don’t work for you, you don’t work for us, we call it as we see it.
- Accountability: It’s our mission to see that the most important actions are getting done.
- Skill Development: Plan, execute, and debrief – skills improve with repetition and focus.
- Routine Building: Financial advisor coaching creates consistency with the right behaviors.
Your business deserves an elite coaching program.