Shhh! In Sales, There are Times to be Silent
No, no—not awkward silence. Don’t sit in prospect meetings idly and wait for the prospect to take the lead. When meeting with a prospect, strategic pauses can have an impact on the conversation and ultimately your ability to land the business. Silence is a skill that takes conscious effort. The following are six situations in which it pays to zip-it.
1. After you hear a concern, pause for a few seconds before you respond.
2. When you ask for a commitment, wait for your prospect to speak.
3. When you ask an important question, slowly count to ten.
4. When a prospect is speaking and pauses don’t immediately jump in, they may have more to say.
5. After you make a key point, pause to imply importance.
6. Wait for a response after using a “check.”